Best movement for a daily watch

Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
dj57
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Best movement for a daily watch

Post by dj57 »

sazabi2001 wrote:I’ll say the seagull ST36 / ST3600. The good thing about the Chinese copy is some of them are 21600 rather than 18000 on 6497. If I remember correctly, only very expensive version 6497 will have higher beat rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Additionally, the latest ones I've received have a power reserve of 62 hours. After regulation and without cleaning them they run amazingly.
This is just an additionally piece of information for those thinking of using one of them.
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Re: Best movement for a daily watch

Post by jrlmsla »

Another movement to consider would be an ST2555.
With a custom dial this would give you almost exactly the same spacing between cannon pinion and sub second hand as an SF240.
This would give you the look of an angelus build with a cheap sturdy movement.
papabear244
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by papabear244 »

dj57 wrote:
sazabi2001 wrote:I’ll say the seagull ST36 / ST3600. The good thing about the Chinese copy is some of them are 21600 rather than 18000 on 6497. If I remember correctly, only very expensive version 6497 will have higher beat rate.

Additionally, the latest ones I've received have a power reserve of 62 hours. After regulation and without cleaning them they run amazingly.
This is just an additionally piece of information for those thinking of using one of them.
Amazing! Just by oiling and regulating the balance?

papabear244
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by papabear244 »

jrlmsla wrote:Another movement to consider would be an ST2555.
With a custom dial this would give you almost exactly the same spacing between cannon pinion and sub second hand as an SF240.
I suppose that includes removing the rotor and automatic bridge? I have an ST25 laying around… maybe in should put it to good use.

jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Post by jrlmsla »

papabear244 wrote:
jrlmsla wrote:Another movement to consider would be an ST2555.
I suppose that includes removing the rotor and automatic bridge? I have an ST25 laying around… maybe in should put it to good use.

I would leave the automatic function but it can be removed if you want. Keep in mind it isn’t the exact same measurement as a 240 so you would need Belkin or Norskguru etc to make you a custom dial. But it is close enough that it has the appearance of the angelus.