Hello All

Just joined? Tell us about yourself
mountaineer
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Re: Hello All

Post by mountaineer »

I agree with the others, go for it! Buy a cheap case kit for an a6497 (st3600) movement. The larger movement makes everything easier. Build it, age it, service it…. You will learn a lot. Don’t be afraid to break anything. Everything can be fixed. Also, be careful not to lose any parts. They are small.
wwwEvgeny
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Italiano addict

Oyster eater

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by wwwEvgeny »

Welcome, Andy! this hobby could be addictive ) just do it!
aci4369
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by aci4369 »

Mellons wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:11 pm Welcome. Remember, learn by doing, dont be afraid to make a mess. Most of us here are still quite happy to make a hames of it! Dive in and start building…
Oh, make no mistake about it. In the last few weeks I have already ripped every quartz watch in our house apart and replaced batteries, fixed straps and lugs. :) I have only broken one (Timex Expedition). I broke the stem because I didn't realize the movement spacer ring was directional.
When I pressed the case-back back on it snapped the stem. The first lesson/mistake in many to come I am sure, but one that I will hopefully only make once. There was a reason I took the $40 watch apart first. haha.
aci4369
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by aci4369 »

I hope to build a homage pilot watch very similar to Laco's Friedrichshafen. That or a Hamilton Khaki Field watch.

A good friend left the country for a year and gave me his Ti Hamilton Khaki Field to wear while he was gone. That got me started down the path of knowing the difference of a nice watch compared to a cheapo. It is all his fault I guess, but it was hard to hand the Hamilton back and put on my Timex. :cry: