Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Re: It’s the little details

Post by straps68 »

Hypnogagia wrote: July 25th, 2023, 2:32 pm I’ve got all the tools but the roller table remover. I got a lucky buy with a mostly complete Levin staking set for cheap, was a bit rusty but cleaned up perfectly. @straps68 I have read that it’s best to buy balance staffs in pairs :lol:
You have read correctly! :angel:

There should be a "Staking set restorer" flair for those of us who have done that :lol: Those are some amazing sets of tools. Mine is close to a 100 years old, as are many others in the hands of other H-F'ers.

I am imagining some old Swiss dude back in 1931, somewhere in the foothills of the Alps working on a steam (?) operated lathe, making the set I am using nearly a hundred years later. I think if he could have known this, it would have added to his ego tremendously. Thanks to all the old machinists of old for creating those wonderful tools! Oh and the dude who made the amazing wooden box as well!
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Re: It’s the little details

Post by Yoda »

straps68 wrote: July 28th, 2023, 8:18 am
Hypnogagia wrote: July 25th, 2023, 2:32 pm I’ve got all the tools but the roller table remover. I got a lucky buy with a mostly complete Levin staking set for cheap, was a bit rusty but cleaned up perfectly. @straps68 I have read that it’s best to buy balance staffs in pairs :lol:
You have read correctly! :angel:

There should be a "Staking set restorer" flair for those of us who have done that :lol: Those are some amazing sets of tools. Mine is close to a 100 years old, as are many others in the hands of other H-F'ers.

I am imagining some old Swiss dude back in 1931, somewhere in the foothills of the Alps working on a steam (?) operated lathe, making the set I am using nearly a hundred years later. I think if he could have known this, it would have added to his ego tremendously. Thanks to all the old machinists of old for creating those wonderful tools! Oh and the dude who made the amazing wooden box as well!
My thoughts exactly! The Bergeon one is the best and easiest to use.

My only new tools are the screwdrivers, everything else is close to a hundred years old and restored to its former glory. Lathe, staking tools and lots of other tools.
My staking set was around $45 at a local auction, the largest (144 pcs.) set ever made by G. Boley, then two weeks of work to restore it to what it was.

I have also wondered what they were thinking back then, how long will this last and so on - my oldest movement was made 1764 and ticking powered by a chain and spring.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.