Pam homage history

General watch-related discussion
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Re: Pan homage history

Post by earloflondon »

Ciccio wrote:It was only a matter of time before those crazy conspiratorial A1 truthers found their way to this forum, trying to co-opt the real true culprit for the staining of those frogman dials: tomato sauce.

#thetruthisouthere
#bana1saucetruthers
#itwastomatosauceallalong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds more Italian [emoji16]

And hands were aged in pasta[emoji3]

jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Post by jrlmsla »

In all honesty though A1 would make a good lume aging material. I mean... other than flavor and thickness it’s not much different than using coffee right?
Other than flavor and thickness it’s the same... That’s what she said
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by earloflondon »

jrlmsla wrote:In all honesty though A1 would make a good lume aging material. I mean... other than flavor and thickness it’s not much different than using coffee right?
Other than flavor and thickness it’s the same... That’s what she said
Whot[emoji849]

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

Post by thelonedoc »

Vintage Panerai - A1 since day one.
Rotorua
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Rotorua »

This thread has quickly turned from a trip down memory lane to comedy gold.

Edit: forgot the obligatory dad joke. "I rate this thread A1+".
"Morituri te salutant" Gladiators
"Morituri Nolumus Mori" Smart Gladiators
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Sandwich wrote: September 24th, 2019, 8:21 pm
Yoda wrote: September 24th, 2019, 4:33 pm "Pan" homage history, like Peter Pan?
No, like frying pan. This is my latest homage to a vintage All Clad. It uses a Silix head and Athaya handle. I custom aged it.IMG_7011.JPG

Does this have a display back or all stainless? More pics please.
:shifty:

Nejad
VIP
VIP

Post by Nejad »

I started working on the watches in 2004. by that time i had a small collection: Sub, IWC Mk Xv and that year i got 201a. I couldn't keep Rolex and Panerai as it was way to much money and then i made EPIC mistake selling 201. out of pure remorse i went on a quest to build a replica using genuine dial. then about 2005 i purchased 4 or 5 "super reps" and i went to a old watchmaker that was willing to show me basics. initially i didnt want to learn how to repair movements but just how to do basic stuff. then i moved to hobby watchmaking and and i started doing big watches as they came in to the fashion. there was a good forum called Big Watch Forum and then after it closed RWI was opened on the ruins of that forum. something happened around that time, 2007 i think, however stupid or ugly or unbalanced watch i was able to make i would sale it for top dollar and make some cash. after some time i become better and eventually i moved in to vintage reps. there was a guy from HK named Jimmy Fu who was The Man way before DSN and Mary and Yuki. Actual old school reps cases for vintage Rolex (Panerai was considered Rolex at the time) ware really good. I had 3646 from Fu and it was really good. then people started selling rep vintages as gens and entire thing become hot as a pistol. History that i know and dark secret on the forums was that Fu was murdered over that. later information came out that he was killed in car crash. many years later i herd the story that it was all BS and that Fu is alive and that his new name is "Little Hero" now... who knows! fact are that someone in HK was making superb 3646 cases and that all stopped with 6152. VDB and many others including my self ware using same case sets for Penny Yu (Old School) finally i moved on in to a domain of the fantasy, experimenting with materials and techniques, creating almost steampunk like non existing homages. in my golden days i made about 1000 case sets and today i doint have a single of my watches. such is homage life
thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

Post by thelonedoc »

Nejad wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 5:44 pm I started working on the watches in 2004. by that time i had a small collection: Sub, IWC Mk Xv and that year i got 201a. I couldn't keep Rolex and Panerai as it was way to much money and then i made EPIC mistake selling 201. out of pure remorse i went on a quest to build a replica using genuine dial. then about 2005 i purchased 4 or 5 "super reps" and i went to a old watchmaker that was willing to show me basics. initially i didnt want to learn how to repair movements but just how to do basic stuff. then i moved to hobby watchmaking and and i started doing big watches as they came in to the fashion. there was a good forum called Big Watch Forum and then after it closed RWI was opened on the ruins of that forum. something happened around that time, 2007 i think, however stupid or ugly or unbalanced watch i was able to make i would sale it for top dollar and make some cash. after some time i become better and eventually i moved in to vintage reps. there was a guy from HK named Jimmy Fu who was The Man way before DSN and Mary and Yuki. Actual old school reps cases for vintage Rolex (Panerai was considered Rolex at the time) ware really good. I had 3646 from Fu and it was really good. then people started selling rep vintages as gens and entire thing become hot as a pistol. History that i know and dark secret on the forums was that Fu was murdered over that. later information came out that he was killed in car crash. many years later i herd the story that it was all BS and that Fu is alive and that his new name is "Little Hero" now... who knows! fact are that someone in HK was making superb 3646 cases and that all stopped with 6152. VDB and many others including my self ware using same case sets for Penny Yu (Old School) finally i moved on in to a domain of the fantasy, experimenting with materials and techniques, creating almost steampunk like non existing homages. in my golden days i made about 1000 case sets and today i doint have a single of my watches. such is homage life
This was a great read!

Some OG history here.
Comandante
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Comandante »

Nejad wrote:I started working on the watches in 2004. by that time i had a small collection: Sub, IWC Mk Xv and that year i got 201a. I couldn't keep Rolex and Panerai as it was way to much money and then i made EPIC mistake selling 201. out of pure remorse i went on a quest to build a replica using genuine dial. then about 2005 i purchased 4 or 5 "super reps" and i went to a old watchmaker that was willing to show me basics. initially i didnt want to learn how to repair movements but just how to do basic stuff. then i moved to hobby watchmaking and and i started doing big watches as they came in to the fashion. there was a good forum called Big Watch Forum and then after it closed RWI was opened on the ruins of that forum. something happened around that time, 2007 i think, however stupid or ugly or unbalanced watch i was able to make i would sale it for top dollar and make some cash. after some time i become better and eventually i moved in to vintage reps. there was a guy from HK named Jimmy Fu who was The Man way before DSN and Mary and Yuki. Actual old school reps cases for vintage Rolex (Panerai was considered Rolex at the time) ware really good. I had 3646 from Fu and it was really good. then people started selling rep vintages as gens and entire thing become hot as a pistol. History that i know and dark secret on the forums was that Fu was murdered over that. later information came out that he was killed in car crash. many years later i herd the story that it was all BS and that Fu is alive and that his new name is "Little Hero" now... who knows! fact are that someone in HK was making superb 3646 cases and that all stopped with 6152. VDB and many others including my self ware using same case sets for Penny Yu (Old School) finally i moved on in to a domain of the fantasy, experimenting with materials and techniques, creating almost steampunk like non existing homages. in my golden days i made about 1000 case sets and today i doint have a single of my watches. such is homage life
Thanks for sharing it!
Really interesting read for newbie
Luminor
VIP
VIP

Post by Luminor »

I wish I had seen this thread sooner (a year sooner). Let me share a little about my introduction to this hobby. I became interested in and purchased my first Panerai watch back in 2007. Right away, I became fascinated with the vintage models and discovered that there was a whole community of people who recreated modern Panerai watches (i.e. Joa and RXW)

My interest in vintage models led me to meet a couple of collectors who owned vintage Panerai models, and I started, without much planning or direction, acquiring vintage components for the watches. Back then, I also became fascinated with straps (because duh...) and got introduced through email to Adeeos who had worked on a project of his own, building an amazing titanium 3646 with a genuine dial.

Then I discovered the old HF and joined in 2008; at that point, there were only a few hundred members. Hixxy was running the show back then and had some connections as well.

Regarding the VDB fiasco, that guy would purchase cheap Chinese-made parts and sell them claiming to be 1:1 reproductions made at his shop. Hixxy turned me to that guy thinking that he was a reliable honest source, and I purchased one of his cases. I did write a thread about this experience in the old HF.
3646, gen. dial 3 of 3, coming soon.
3646, gen. dial 2 of 3, http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82
3636, gen. dial 1 of 3, http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35