Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post pictures of your pocket watches

Post by Emilio »

Please, there is a demand for pictures of nice pocket watches: Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, Cortebert, you name it! Post some
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Re: Post pictures of your pocket watches

Post by Sandwich »

OK. Here are two. Anyone ever seen the 8 day Rolex military? When I sent it to a watchmaker for cleaning several years ago, I barely got it back because he fell in love with it.
IMG_6952sm.jpg
IMG_6953sm.jpg
IMG_6950sm.jpg
IMG_6951sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Scoundrel

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Post by TimemiT »

Alpacalypse Now
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

One thing, don't let your old movements run much as an unknown service history will damage your precious movements.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Post by Sandwich »

Good advice! I don't run my pocket watches, and most of them I have gotten serviced anyway (including the two I posted above).
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Scoundrel

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Post by TimemiT »

Very true ... I have not wound any of them :D ... well, the one in the watch case, maybe I wear 1-2 a year ... I'm sure it needs service, and those 1st Gen Athaya bronze crowns are a POS, I have a replacement 2nd Gen... somewhere to swap out.
Yoda wrote: September 18th, 2019, 12:36 pm One thing, don't let your old movements run much as an unknown service history will damage your precious movements.
Alpacalypse Now
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Scoundrel

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Post by TimemiT »

these Hamiltons and the Illinois movements are really nice ... the finish on them would be big money in today's time.

The Illinois are larger ... I believe they start at 12s ligne which is 39.79mm ... which can still drop into a nice case

Hamiltons and Corteberts I believe are 10s ligne which is 38.09mm ... so it is more or less adaptable to a case set that is made to fit a Cort 616 ... most of the case sets that we deal with in our Homage universe

The history of trains and these pocket watches are intertwined ... and so is the expansion of Europe! I remember standing in the train station in Amsterdam ... and saying to myself ... "Holy Crap!!!" ... Paris as well!! ... but I digress :D

Here's a couple of those Illinois type 12s movements, 1927 .. 19 and 21 jewels
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alpacalypse Now
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Post by Sandwich »

The 8 day Rolex watch above is a pilot's model, with a long stem, made to fit in the cockpit. Here is a picture of a WW I Sopwith Camel cockpit, with one of these watches at the lower right.
04b.jpg
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

TimemiT wrote: September 18th, 2019, 1:19 pm these Hamiltons and the Illinois movements are really nice ... the finish on them would be big money in today's time.

The Illinois are larger ... I believe they start at 12s ligne which is 39.79mm ... which can still drop into a nice case

Hamiltons and Corteberts I believe are 10s ligne which is 38.09mm ... so it is more or less adaptable to a case set that is made to fit a Cort 616 ... most of the case sets that we deal with in our Homage universe

The history of trains and these pocket watches are intertwined ... and so is the expansion of Europe! I remember standing in the train station in Amsterdam ... and saying to myself ... "Holy Crap!!!" ... Paris as well!! ... but I digress :D

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg
A Sangamo and a Ball! Great watches! It's clear to anyone that the Ball was built by Hamilton.
Illinois speaks for itself.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Post by unreformed66 »

TimemiT wrote: September 18th, 2019, 1:19 pm these Hamiltons and the Illinois movements are really nice ... the finish on them would be big money in today's time.

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg
I hate to break it to you but that Sangamo is a 16 size and what Illinois called a "Getty Model" movement. And lignes and American pocket watch sizes are not used interchangably. American sizes are based on Lancashire gauge (English measurement). Lignes are just that, lignes. An antiquated French system of measurement. So it's either "10 size" OR "17 lignes" or whatever. Not both. 10 size and 17 ligne are very similar in diameter but they're not the same. And thus endeth the lesson.... :mrgreen: