The 6497 6498 information thread

Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Re: The 6497 6498 information thread

Post by jrlmsla »

In my experience a difference between Asian and Swiss 649x is in ease of reassembly after cleaning.

It seems that to me the bridges slide into place with the wheels easily finding home I. Their jewels while the Asian bridges require a little finagling or slight shaking side to side to get them to all seat.

Not a huge deal but starting with Asian and then servicing a swiss I sure noticed a difference.
djolemag
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by djolemag »

atkin68 wrote:[mention]Yoda [/mention] [mention]unreformed66 [/mention] [mention]djolemag [/mention] :

Will a complete balance with a smooth wheel from a newer Unitas 6497 potentially swap into an older Unitas 285 with a wheel that has bolts? The 285 is, I think, 7 jewels. 17 for the 6497.

Is it worth trying with caution, or are they known to be incompatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I know, 285 and 6497 balances are different...

Sent from my P30 using Tapatalk

atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by atkin68 »

djolemag wrote: August 26th, 2021, 11:23 pm
atkin68 wrote:@Yoda @unreformed66 @djolemag :

Will a complete balance with a smooth wheel from a newer Unitas 6497 potentially swap into an older Unitas 285 with a wheel that has bolts? The 285 is, I think, 7 jewels. 17 for the 6497.

Is it worth trying with caution, or are they known to be incompatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I know, 285 and 6497 balances are different...

Sent from my P30 using Tapatalk
Thank you!
pam_azsa
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by pam_azsa »

Can anyone please tell me if this balance wheel is ok? It seems little bit small. These are for ETA 6497, 6498 movements with 18800 bph.

IMG_1216.jpeg

I got these balance wheels from eBay (UK) and I had conversation with the seller about this and he told me its perfectly ok as long as the stud is in a right place and the hairspring is in the stud supporter, the balance pivots in the right place I should get a perfect result as long as the movement itself working well.

But I would like to ask for your master watchmakers input on this. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by bmsm »

pam_azsa wrote:Can anyone please tell me if this balance wheel is ok? It seems little bit small. These are for ETA 6497, 6498 movements with 18800 bph.

IMG_1216.jpeg

I got these balance wheels from eBay (UK) and I had conversation with the seller about this and he told me its perfectly ok as long as the stud is in a right place and the hairspring is in the stud supporter, the balance pivots in the right place I should get a perfect result as long as the movement itself working well.

But I would like to ask for your master watchmakers input on this. Thanks in advance.
In terms of design looks like a ST3600 or glucydur. This one on the image looks like that one

But I’m no expert :) just my 5 cents on this one.
pam_azsa
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by pam_azsa »

bmsm wrote: August 28th, 2021, 12:20 pm
pam_azsa wrote:Can anyone please tell me if this balance wheel is ok? It seems little bit small. These are for ETA 6497, 6498 movements with 18800 bph.

IMG_1216.jpeg

In terms of design looks like a ST3600 or glucydur. This one on the image looks like that one

But I’m no expert :) just my 5 cents on this one.
I was going for glucydur style balance wheel to have in my Swiss 6497 movements to "look" like genuine PreV movements, but I got caught of guard due to have these wheels being little bit small. I just would like to make sure that they are proper size to have movement work properly.
frenchy
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by frenchy »

I've recently bought a watch witha 6497 that appears to have a short stem. The seller is sending me a replacement and I've been researching what should be a straightforward process to swap it. Although I have read some conflicting information about the wisdom of turning the stem retaining screw back a couple of turns to alleviate any strain on the keyless works. Some says it's prudent others don't mention it.
What are you drinking,velocet or drencrom.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

frenchy wrote: January 1st, 2022, 9:53 am I've recently bought a watch witha 6497 that appears to have a short stem. The seller is sending me a replacement and I've been researching what should be a straightforward process to swap it. Although I have read some conflicting information about the wisdom of turning the stem retaining screw back a couple of turns to alleviate any strain on the keyless works. Some says it's prudent others don't mention it.
Simply turn the screw until the movement lets go of the old stem.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
mountaineer
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by mountaineer »

@frenchy in my experience in messing up keyless works…

It important to remove the stem while in the correct position. Which is the time setting position in a 6497.

Also, don’t unscrew the stem release screw too much.

This is what to do:
Pull crown out to time setting position.

Unscrew stem release screw 1/4 turn. Try pulling stem out (will come out easy) Repeat until stem releases.
frenchy
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by frenchy »

Thank you gents,so I don't need to turn it back to relieve stress on the keyless...while I struggle with getting the crown free from the stem...I'm really looking forward to that one.😉
What are you drinking,velocet or drencrom.