The 6497 6498 information thread

Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
toofsy
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Re: The 6497 6498 information thread

Post by toofsy »

Yoda wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am
toofsy wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 6:49 am I forgot to precise that before to disassemble the mouvement the second hand was running well but the minute hand didn't run. There is maybe another issue that only the escape wheel?
I would say that the cannon pinion has too little friction. Is it very easy to set the time?
No issue to set up the time
IconRays - aNYstrap - Ateliers d'Embellie
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

toofsy wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 1:34 pm
Yoda wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am
toofsy wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 6:49 am I forgot to precise that before to disassemble the mouvement the second hand was running well but the minute hand didn't run. There is maybe another issue that only the escape wheel?
I would say that the cannon pinion has too little friction. Is it very easy to set the time?
But has it some resistance?
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
toofsy
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by toofsy »

Yoda wrote:
Yoda wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am I would say that the cannon pinion has too little friction. Is it very easy to set the time?
Honestly I don't remember and the mouvement is disassembled right know. I'm going to try to service it.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

toofsy wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 3:16 pm
Yoda wrote:

Honestly I don't remember and the mouvement is disassembled right know. I'm going to try to service it.
Ok, looking forward to hear how it goes.
toofsy
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by toofsy »

Do you confirm the bottom pivot is broken?Image
bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by bmsm »

toofsy wrote:Do you confirm the bottom pivot is broken?Image
Yes, looks so
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

toofsy wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 9:07 am Do you confirm the bottom pivot is broken?Image
Completely gone!
atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by atkin68 »

frenchy wrote: January 1st, 2022, 10:16 am Thank you gents,so I don't need to turn it back to relieve stress on the keyless...while I struggle with getting the crown free from the stem...I'm really looking forward to that one.😉
1. I've had better success pulling stems in the winding position, but it can be done from either position on the 6497/8 - that's just my experience. There may be a correct way as mountaineer said.

2. Start with 1.5 - 2 turns on the release screw and try to withdraw the stem. It should come out with zero resistance if the screw is in the correct position. If not, do another half turn and try again, and so on.

3. As far as I know, there's no "stress" on the keyless regardless of what position that screw is in - but may be I'm misunderstanding your question.

4. Removing crown from stem should not be a struggle. Don't attempt it while the stem is in the movement. Once removed, mount the stem in a pin vise or grasp it on the flat end with a smooth needle-nose pliers, hit the crown with a little heat, and once it cools simply unscrew the crown with your fingers. If it takes more force than that, you'll break the stem. If it doesn't come free, apply more heat.
frenchy
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by frenchy »

atkin68 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 10:35 am
frenchy wrote: January 1st, 2022, 10:16 am Thank you gents,so I don't need to turn it back to relieve stress on the keyless...while I struggle with getting the crown free from the stem...I'm really looking forward to that one.😉
1. I've had better success pulling stems in the winding position, but it can be done from either position on the 6497/8 - that's just my experience. There may be a correct way as mountaineer said.

2. Start with 1.5 - 2 turns on the release screw and try to withdraw the stem. It should come out with zero resistance if the screw is in the correct position. If not, do another half turn and try again, and so on.

3. As far as I know, there's no "stress" on the keyless regardless of what position that screw is in - but may be I'm misunderstanding your question.

4. Removing crown from stem should not be a struggle. Don't attempt it while the stem is in the movement. Once removed, mount the stem in a pin vise or grasp it on the flat end with a smooth needle-nose pliers, hit the crown with a little heat, and once it cools simply unscrew the crown with your fingers. If it takes more force than that, you'll break the stem. If it doesn't come free, apply more heat.
Thanks I Googled it and on one of the forums that came up somebody mentioned relieving stress on the keyless works,but no mention on ETA site. I just hope there's no glue involved taking the crown off. I've read holding the crown in boiled water can help.
What are you drinking,velocet or drencrom.
atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by atkin68 »

frenchy wrote: January 4th, 2022, 11:55 am
atkin68 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 10:35 am

Thanks I Googled it and on one of the forums that came up somebody mentioned relieving stress on the keyless works,but no mention on ETA site. I just hope there's no glue involved taking the crown off. I've read holding the crown in boiled water can help.
Ideally there would just be some type of thread locker - but even any glue will give way to the right amount of heat so don't worry. Just be patient and go slow and you'll sort it out.