earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Re: Paul Breguette

Post by earloflondon »

This is a base ut6497. use either the stem of that movement or one of a 6498. They are the same

Sent from my SM-M205F using Tapatalk

atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Good neighbour

Post by atkin68 »

earloflondon wrote: November 10th, 2020, 5:09 am This is a base ut6497. use either the stem of that movement or one of a 6498. They are the same

Wait, you're saying it is NOT an AS movement? I'll tuck this tip away till the day comes when I find the right build for this movement. Till then I like the PW and will keep it whole.
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by earloflondon »

I am not a movement expert. But, as we know of the sector, makers used to share some designs and / or sold some bases to other movement makers or watch makers. So like the omega 960 movement which basically was a 6497, this movement may have a base from a UT 6497, and in house made pallets and bridges may have been mounted afterwards. There are a couple of different examples out there like IWC Portuguese, Panerai Fiddy etc having the same base with different bridge designs. Asian 6497 also have two basic designs, one with the original and other mimicking the Pam Fiddy movement. There is also a Rollie engraved version by DSN movement which is basically a 6497. Check the links below

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... &Omega_960

https://watchbase.com/iwc/caliber/64900

This looks totally a 6497 to me. But we also have to know about the dimensions too, to tell exactly what it is.

Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

To answer the question: "who is the maker of this movement?", the answer is A. Schild

I have sourced a few stems and parts for these, trust me.

It may be that a Unitas/ETA stem will fit, as it does in a Hamilton 10 size movement, but it is still an A. Schild movement.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
spade_lt
VIP
VIP

Member of the month

I'm hot

Animal

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by spade_lt »

Yoda wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:25 pm To answer the question: "who is the maker of this movement?", the answer is A. Schild
Yes. And constructionwise it's totally different from 649X. The stem doesn't fit (but can be adapted to make it somewhat workeable). Notably - only on the thicker version of the movement, because it comes in two thicknesses (3.7 and 4.4 mm), and the thinner one uses a different (thin) stem.
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by earloflondon »

Thanks for the information. As I said, the dimensions are the factors that basically determine the usability of this movement in a pam build for example. If the diameter is 16.5"' or 36.6 mm, height 4.5 mm, hands 2.00 x 1.15 / 0.27mm, and the stem W1418, then it can be easily used in such a build. Otherwise, so many crucial physical adaptations will be needed. It looks like a nice movement though no matter what

atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Good neighbour

Post by atkin68 »

After getting some guidance from [mention]Yoda[/mention] on this thread, I scoured AS movements on ranfft and found MANY which carry the earmarks of this Breguette beyond just the bridge designs. Having worked on Asian and Unitas 6497/8 more than anything else, and quite a few other Unitas & ETA movements, I'm not reminded of those movements by this Breguette - but my own experience is so limited it doesn't count for much. When I get around to uncasing this and trying to use it in a build, I expect to learn more. If the 6497/8 stem does in fact work, I'll find out as I have many of those stems laying around. Appreciate everyone's input.
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by earloflondon »

I guess I found it. Ranfft.de says it's a AS 1054.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... wk&AS_1054

Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

earloflondon wrote: November 10th, 2020, 3:19 pm I guess I found it. Ranfft.de says it's a AS 1054.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... wk&AS_1054

What I thought from the beginning.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Good neighbour

Post by atkin68 »

Say, I just built a watch with this movement and realized that in setting mode this thing winds counter-clockwise! Freaked me out at first. @yoda , is that an AS thing? I have not encountered it on any other movements - not that I've handled very many brands.

BTW, 6497 hands are WAAAY to big for this baby...I ended up using the stem from the original PW.

Dave