My latest build.

Seiko, Soxa, and FFF mods and parts discussion
guspech750
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

My latest build.

Post by guspech750 »

I copied and pasted this from the car forum I’m on. So forgive me and the long winded description.

So I finally finished my latest watch build. This is my sixth watch build. Some are more extensive than others. This one and another build I did a few years ago are my most extensive. I have been into black watches the last few years and there is not enough great ones. I wanted something that was a bit stealthy, chunky, sleek and a black or blue dial but preferably blue. I started with a save the ocean Seiko Samurai dial back in late January. I saw a fellow watch nut on Instagram post a pic of the dials. So I asked if I could buy one and he sold me one. Slowly I acquired the remaining parts and Seiko movement.

I knew I wanted a black case as I love black watch cases. Crystal Times USA has a nice selection of black cases. The case is based off of Seiko’s 300mm Marine Master case. This case is also very different in design as it’s a front loading case. There is no caseback to open and access the movement and dial. The movement/dial is loaded into the front of the case. There is a compression ring which also holds the sapphire crystal and that is tightened down to compress the movement, dial, chapter ring and rubber O-rings.

The Seiko movement came with a white date wheel. I wanted a black date wheel and if possible a lumed date wheel. That way all the date numbers will glow. Nothing useful really just unique and a bit more fun. I love a lot of lume and long lasting lume on a watch. Seiko has a reputation of having amazing long lasting lume. When I wake up at 4:30 am some of my watches I can still easily read the time. I also wanted to keep the watch a bit stealthy as the case is black, dial half black. I found an aluminum black inner chapter ring with lumed minute markers, black lumed ceramic bezel insert and nicely lumed black seconds and hour hand to keep it stealthy. I found some Sumo/or Sumo type hands. I love orange minute hand for some nice contrast and a little pop in color.

The dial was designed to be used with the crown in the three o clock position while the crown on my case is at the four o clock position. So I did have to cut off the dial feet as the dial would not fit on the movement holder correctly. No big deal. Snip snip and off the feet came.

I’d say the hardest part really was changing out the date wheel. The screws are extremely small. I did have to file one of my screw drives to do the task. A steady hand, decent loupes, patience and remembering where parts go was a bit challenging but fun. At one point after I had secured the dial to the movement holder and installed the hands. I installed it into the watch case and noticed the crown hole on the case and movement were slightly off. So I had to remove the hands and dial off of the movement , reset the date to make sure the date wheel was in position and reinstall the dial and hands again. I did have to cut and trim the crown stem to size. That was a bit challenging and surprisingly I did not mess that up and use my spare stem. I got it correct on my first cut.

It all went together pretty smoothly. The one thing I sort of don’t care for is the AR coated crystal. I should have bought a non AR coated crystal. I also should have looked harder for a black crown with a lumed S engraved. I know I’ve seen them. I just could not remember where.

Anyways. I love modding watches. Just like cars they become one of a kind and there is more pride involved. It’s fun, challenging, hard on my eyes and requires a patience. The thought process of what I what to do, the hunt for some of the parts and sharing ideas with other watch modders on the forums great just like when I’ve modded some cars over the years.

Anyways. Enjoy the pics.

I like Crystal Times case with the small opening on the back to remove the stem.

I could not find my movement holder. Can anyone recommend one?

I am a lume whore. It’s just fun.

Sent from my toilet using Kakatalk. Flushed with only a single wipe.
Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.
Stupid avatar setting kept saying picture was too big.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Re: My latest build.

Post by Yoda »

Wohooo!
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
mountaineer
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by mountaineer »

Looks great! The dial looks good with the black case.
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by straps68 »

Very well done! That case looks really nice. First time I've seen lumed date wheel and that's cool.
Edam_
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Edam_ »

Fantastic!!!!!!
hako

Post by hako »

Great story!
====================================
Da builds: http://homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59#p101
====================================
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

Brilliant thanks for posting! The build looks great
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
kilowattore
VIP
VIP

Post by kilowattore »

Very well done Sir, case looks great with that dial
Zurks
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by Zurks »

Kudos on your build! I like your approach and the write-up!
guspech750
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by guspech750 »

Thanks for the kind words peeps. I appreciate it. I’m pretty tempted to sell most of my other watches and do a few more builds. I for sure prefer the custom build to exactly what I want compared to having a watch that thousands of others have.

I’m thinking I may want to do a brass/bronze cass build next.

Sent from my toilet using Kakatalk. Flushed with only a single wipe.
Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.
Stupid avatar setting kept saying picture was too big.