Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

[Build Thread] - DSN Skull EGI

Post by blueradish »

This build truly shows how our HF community comes together, this could not have been possible without the help of all those mentioned below.

It all started with a beautifully converted Angelus 240 from @Tanukjaju that sat in my parts bin for a few years. Of course this vintage stallion deserves a trip to the salon, thanks to @unreformed66 for giving her a nice service.

I knew it was going to go into a DSN Egi case. So the process began to fit the movement. DSN has two Egi cases, both look identical save for the position of the stem hole. I chose to use the 7750 case as the stem sits lower and allows for a little bit of grab below the CG. The crown on the 6497 case sits flush with the bottom of the CG and makes winding a bit of a chore. If I had gone with the 6497 I wouldn’t have had as much of a fitment issue.

6497 on top, 7750 on bottom

First task, get this case over to @Elias Livadaris for his special case treatment and damn he didn’t disappoint, this thing is gorgeous.

However, my case choice created a fitment issue with the fact that the 240 is far thinner than a 7750, hence, I would have a lot more space to fill in order to get the movement to sit tight. Now if my dial was a perfect diameter it wouldn’t be a big deal since it’s nice and thick. However, it’s a hair too small, in fact it sits inside the rehaut and will have to be attached to the top of the backplates.

Big thanks to @neckyzips and fine tuning by @binbin for working with me on a custom movement ring.

All set…now the dial.

Came across this badboy and we’re set. BUT, now the issues start, this dial is 1.65mm thick, plus we have to make up the difference in the thickness of the movement. 3mm in total. Also the dial is the same diameter as the rehaut diameter, so as mentioned it will sit on top of the back plates. SF240’s have pretty tall CP/HW, but this was a stretch. I tried to secure the movement with tabs from the back, but the movement has no holes for movement screws.

So, fill the space and then find tall tube hands for an SF240. They don’t exist, but @Athaya to the rescue with some hands that get close. So the tubes had to be modified to make them smaller. Thanks to @daevildog for assisting on this.

Gap filled

TT hands

Now onto painting and luming the hands. I really didn’t care about glow, I wanted to keep an overall look of dark and aged. Thanks to @Bigwaved for a little bag of grey lume that allowed me to stay on track with my overall plan. Painted and lumed, onto stem fitment….

Again thanks to @Tanukjaju for the stem adaptor that allowed me to use a 6497 stem adaptor with my crown and marry it with the OEM SF240 stem. After careful trimming and sanding, the stem is perfect and the CG snaps nicely into lock position.

Now, no point having this beautiful SF240 and using the stock closed CB. Try the stock 6497 CB, nope display is way too small to showcase this beauty. Off to @neckyzips to open the viewable area by a full 5mm from 30mm to 35mm. A custom made glass to finish it off and this badboy is showcasing all its glory.

Now to take this sweet-ass dial and give it the look we need to bring the whole watch together. Since this is real silver, I decided to go with a combo of tarnish, paint and some various aging techniques. Thanks @Madantique

Starts with the silver, add a coat of matte black paint, start with some aging but the lighter grey just didn’t work with the dark of the case, move on to further aging to give it the final look.

It’s been a project that has taken years, moreso due to lack of personal time than anything else, but all the custom mods are not a quick process. All in all by far my favourite build.

The only thing I wish I had done would be drilling out the lugs for compression bars.

Here is the finished project, let me know which strap you think works best. I can’t choose so I may rotate them.

Click the banner below to go to my Strap Gallery

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps
Akvanautas
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Re: [Build Thread] - DSN Skull EGI

Post by Akvanautas »

:o that thing is phenomenol.
Wonderful case work,pics,movement,dial.

Enjoy sir!
7628LM
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Post by 7628LM »

Amazing process, that is why I love HF so much.
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Car lover

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by Tanukjaju »

Now…. This is the expectation of a build thread that everyone is expected to meet moving forward :lol:

I’ve been friggin waiting for years for this build to progress. I love everything about this! The textures, the richness of patina is just perfect.

I’m glad you finished this build before I died from old age :crazy:
:shifty:

Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Bike lover

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Good neighbour

Post by Thrasher »

Just beautiful and so much work, I understand as I have spent so many hours on so many projects. The case I think is mt favorite part.
atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Good neighbour

Post by atkin68 »

Simply spectacular. Thanks for sharing this @blueradish
Obscuranocte
Tinkerer
Tinkerer