My first Build - Athaya Case - Damascus Steel

General watch-related discussion
shanostyle
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by shanostyle »

Hey all!

So I’ve been tinkering around with my first really build. I bought some cheap 6497 on Amazon, and tried this 3646 case I found.

A couple questions I had:

1) when I get a hour wheel and cannon pinion, how does one decide which one to go with: H1, H2, and H3?

2) the case set I bought came with a very thick damascus steel dial with hour markers like the 2533 Radiomir dial. Does anyone have the ability to do the Lume on the hour markers and add the “Radiomir Panerai” font on it?

3) where could I purchase an aftermarket dial in a 2533 style that has Lume and logo on it that could also has dial feet to line up right on the movement?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nottingham
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Re: My first Build - Athaya Case - Damascus Steel

Post by Nottingham »

shanostyle wrote:Hey all!

So I’ve been tinkering around with my first really build. I bought some cheap 6497 on Amazon, and tried this 3646 case I found.

1) when I get a hour wheel and cannon pinion, how does one decide which one to go with: H1, H2, and H3?

2) the case set I bought came with a very thick damascus steel dial with hour markers like the 2533 Radiomir dial. Does anyone have the ability to do the Lume on the hour markers and add the “Radiomir Panerai” font on it?

3) where could I purchase an aftermarket dial in a 2533 style that has Lume and logo on it that could also has dial feet to line up right on the movement?

Thanks for the help!

Nice catch, did you buy the case long ago?
shanostyle
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by shanostyle »

No. Just got it a few weeks ago

jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Post by jrlmsla »

I love the Athaya Damascus case!

Any of our dial smiths here should be able to help you out:

Belkin
Ross
Norskguru
Bigwaved
Odokadolo

Keep us posted on your progress!
Denis
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by Denis »

Dear Friend, the case you chose is excellent, I really like it. I'm not sure what thickness of dial it can accommodate. Mostly H1 height is enough for california, a single-layer dial, for thicker sandwich dials there are H2, H3, but also hands with a long tube offered by Ataya.. This photo is related for swiss Unitas 6497, I don't measurement for asian, it's little different movements.. Although first you need to see which dial can fit in your case.. Maybe best solution contact some Forum dial maker and consultant with him..
https://flic.kr/p/2nGVDTQ
Last edited by Denis on August 28th, 2022, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

H3 should work.

Damascus steel is great!
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Fizzzz
Mad scientist
Mad scientist

Post by Fizzzz »

shanostyle wrote: August 27th, 2022, 5:04 pm

Nice case!

You wrote "6497" but the movement on photos is a 6498 (second at 6)...

As far as I know, this Seagull movement is not compatible with Swiss parts, and it's most probably H1.
Seagull is not selling spare parts.
Seagull canon pinion are particularly difficult to remove, extremely tight fit.

If you need H2 (depending on your dial thickness - H1 is for 0.4mm standard dial height, H2 for 0.8mm dials),
I suggest you should opt for a Seagull 6497 with this "PAM inspired" model which is H2:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304417074123

If your dial is to thick for H2, you'll need H3, and then you'll only find it for Swiss 6497.
shanostyle
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by shanostyle »

Fizzzz wrote:

Nice case!

As far as I know, this Seagull movement is not compatible with Swiss parts, and it's most probably H1.

If you need H2 (depending on your dial thickness - H1 is for 0.4mm standard dial height, H2 for 0.8mm dials),
I suggest you should opt for a Seagull 6497 with this "PAM inspired" model which is H2:

If your dial is to thick for H2, you'll need H3, and then you'll only find it for Swiss 6497.
Thanks man! Amazing feedback all. I’ll be reaching out to some of the dial guys here too. Im actually ordering a new movement to put in this. I’ll save this funky skeleton one for something else more budget.

I found a great chart online for the Hour wheel and cannon pinion heights. Image

cosmic2000
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by cosmic2000 »

Hi there, greart components you got and the damascus case is excellent 👍. The Athaya sets are very tempting and I will get me one too because they are very close to the originals and good quality. I am not able to reshape cases by myself.
shanostyle
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by shanostyle »

Fizzzz wrote:

Nice case!

Thanks Fizzzz.

Yeah good call on the mixup on movement type. Because a dial wasnt going to go on this movement, I wasn’t paying attention… full newbie here…