A RESCUED PLOPPY

Non-homage Dive Watches
Edam_
Centurion
Centurion

A RESCUED PLOPPY

Post by Edam_ »

Hi, 3 weeks ago I recovered one special watch for me. 12 years ago, when I was university student started in the watches world, step by step I was getting some interesting pieces for me and learned more and more every time. I had a v1.5 ploppy, loved this watch, I wore it like my daily watch. You know how it is this hobby, sometimes you have to sell some pieces to be able to buy another one better. I sold it with another two and could get my desired Oris.

Coming back to the beginning of the history, 3 weeks ago I casually found the contact of the former member of another old forum who bought my watch, and thought about to contact him and ask for my old watch. Originally the watch was for parts to an v2 version, however finally it was waiting in the parts drawer until now. We made a deal and the watch returned to me. When I received it, I felt the same sensation which only knows when you are a newbie and enjoy with every better piece than the previous one, when you really looking forward this loved watch.

Nice condition if you think that it is a 14 years old watch, only the silicon strap was in poor condition, but I delete the dust with an eraser and try to hydrated it with silicon oil, I think with nice results.

The next step has been the change of the crappy asian 2813 movement which runs very slow and I prefer to swap for a reliable miyota 8215. After a lot of work, the watch has come back to life like a new boy.

Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Re: A RESCUED PLOPPY

Post by Thrasher »

Thats impressive and a great story I know all about the love for these watches and the struggle to get and keep them.

Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

Thanks for sharing! truly inspiring :)
patnaboy
Centurion
Centurion

Post by patnaboy »

Its a beauty! Great work on restoring it back to life. This is a grail for many! Out of curiosity, was the miyota a direct fit? Did you have to modify anything?
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Edam_ wrote: October 21st, 2022, 5:27 pm Hi, 3 weeks ago I recovered one special watch for me. 12 years ago, when I was university student started in the watches world, step by step I was getting some interesting pieces for me and learned more and more every time. I had a v1.5 ploppy, loved this watch, I wore it like my daily watch. You know how it is this hobby, sometimes you have to sell some pieces to be able to buy another one better. I sold it with another two and could get my desired Oris.

Coming back to the beginning of the history, 3 weeks ago I casually found the contact of the former member of another old forum who bought my watch, and thought about to contact him and ask for my old watch. Originally the watch was for parts to an v2 version, however finally it was waiting in the parts drawer until now. We made a deal and the watch returned to me. When I received it, I felt the same sensation which only knows when you are a newbie and enjoy with every better piece than the previous one, when you really looking forward this loved watch.

Nice condition if you think that it is a 14 years old watch, only the silicon strap was in poor condition, but I delete the dust with an eraser and try to hydrated it with silicon oil, I think with nice results.

The next step has been the change of the crappy asian 2813 movement which runs very slow and I prefer to swap for a reliable miyota 8215. After a lot of work, the watch has come back to life like a new boy.

Job well done! Nice story behind the watch.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Denis
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by Denis »

Great story, thanks for inspiration:)
Edam_
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Edam_ »

patnaboy wrote: October 21st, 2022, 9:51 pm Its a beauty! Great work on restoring it back to life. This is a grail for many! Out of curiosity, was the miyota a direct fit? Did you have to modify anything?
Direct fit, same measurements than Asian, you even use the Asian stem but I put the miyota one. Only one hard step was take off the date wheel and put on the new miyota, was glued over it like in the old movement. Absolutely happy with the change, due to the miyota works perfectly in comparison with the old one.
Last edited by Edam_ on October 22nd, 2022, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edam_
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Edam_ »

Thrasher wrote: October 21st, 2022, 6:57 pm Thats impressive and a great story I know all about the love for these watches and the struggle to get and keep them.

Nice examples, I also have a v2, IMO could be the one of the best made, a pity that it is discontinued. I have seen that there is a authentic hype for getting one piece of them.
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by straps68 »

Cool story with a happy outcome. Congrats, watch looks great!
miki360
VIP
VIP

Post by miki360 »

Nice one.