Hello All

Just joined? Tell us about yourself
aci4369
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Hello All

Post by aci4369 »

Hello all,

I am obviously new to the forum and to the hobby. My entire life I have loved watches, and looking at beautiful watches. But they are just so dang expensive. About two months ago I had the epiphany of "Why don't I just build my own?"

At first I didn't know if this was even possible. I decided to do some research before buy $40 worth of tools from Amazon and throwing together some DIY kit. Thanks to google and youtube I went down quite a significant rabbit hole trying to learn as much as I can. I have bought "Beginner Watchmaking" by Tim Swike and read it a few times. I have researched the Time Zone Watch School and will be enrolling next month. I bought the extra level one tools this month. Next month, or maybe March I hope to buy the Level One kit with a 6497 movement and make my first watch.

I am a firm believer in doing things right the first time. Also, purchase the right tools for the right job and have them for the rest of your life. Once I get the Level one tools I believe I will be off to the races. So my question for you all is does this sound like the right approach? I would like this to be a hobby that I can build a watch for myself several times a year. Maybe for friends and family if they would like. I am mechanically inclined and love the process of building things. You all are much more experienced in this area and might know of resources I have yet to discover. I am not even sure yet that I know what I don't know...

Thanks for any and all advice. This forum and the DIY section has been extremely helpful.

Andy
aci4369
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Re: Hello All

Post by aci4369 »

Also, I have spent a good portion of time learning about the different movements. My experience with them will be limited until I get more time in this area under my belt. My thought is to try and stick to very few movements (possibly just one) and just use them in several watches. Does that make sense? Or once I go through the TZ level one and level two school I will have a good enough understanding to not be concerned with messing with several types? My thought is to buy a china clone of 2824 or other work-horse movement. Break them down and put them back together consistently until I become more familiar, so when I mess up I am not breaking anything expensive or nice.

I know this might be opening a can or worms, so I apologize in advance if it does. What would you all consider the work-horse type movements that could be used in several style cases and be reliable? There is a ton of information out there on different movements, but no one really says this movement is great and robust and will last a long time etc.

From what I have learned some of these movements could be:
- ETA 2824 (SW200)
- 6R15C (NE15B) 6R35A

I intend on wearing my watches to work. I do not work in an office. They will get wet, cold, hot, muddy, beat up etc. So I need a robust movement to rely on.

Thank you for taking the time.
Andy
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by jrlmsla »

Welcome Andy!
Sounds like you are off to a great start.
As far as your selection of movements I think the 2824 and NH35 are great choices. Most cases out there are built for one of these two. I particularly like the NH35. Excellent basic movement and very inexpensive. Most microbrand watches feature this movement because of its quality for price. The nice thing about it is that for those of us who don’t mind opening the case of a watch, you can swap out movements when a problem arises so you still have a functioning watch, and then mess around with the faulty one to see if you can fix the issue.
Good luck and have fun.
spade_lt
VIP
VIP

Member of the month

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by spade_lt »

As a total beginner I would suggest working with the bigger and simpler movements - like ETA 6497/6498/ Seagull ST3600. Particularly if your intention is to dissasemble and then reassemble them...

Only after that that I would suggest going to small(er) automatics like 2824 ar NH35.
EP.-
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Skillful builder

Mad scientist

Post by EP.- »

The perfect movement to start with is the ST3600. Don't wait to take the course, buy an ST3600, a compatible case, and compatible dial and hands and go for it.
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Mini Chat Squatter

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post by Emilio »

Welcome!

we have some truly knowledgeable members here who sure will help you with those questions :)

@unreformed66 @Yoda @spade_lt
EP.-
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Skillful builder

Mad scientist

Post by EP.- »

straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

EP.- wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 6:52 am The perfect movement to start with is the ST3600. Don't wait to take the course, buy an ST3600, a compatible case, and compatible dial and hands and go for it.
+1 and welcome to H-F.
aci4369
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by aci4369 »

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. At least it sounds like I am not to far off.

Thanks for the ebay link EP. I need to get on to ebay more often. That is an incredible price for just fooling around trying to figure it all out.

Andy
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

MM perv

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

Post by Mellons »

Welcome. Remember, learn by doing, dont be afraid to make a mess. Most of us here are still quite happy to make a hames of it! Dive in and start building…
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27