I’ve been smoking too much incabloc

Just joined? Tell us about yourself
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

I’ve been smoking too much incabloc

Post by Hypnogagia »

Hello all, I’ve been lurking for far too long, figured I’d get registered and join the fun. I’ve been a watch guy for decades, and had always wanted to build some Franken watches (I’m also big on custom motorcycles). When the pandemic hit I figured it was either time to start drinking heavily or build that Panerai I’ve always wanted. I could have bought one, but then I’d just be sitting there looking at a really expensive watch and nowhere go. Besides that what I’d always wanted was an Angelus 8 days (like everyone else!) and that was a heavy spend.

I’d looked at Panerai in the shops, but for the money it seemed like I could build something more unique and interesting, like the gorgeous builds you guys do. The cheapest around here (west coast US) was a Black Seal around $4500, and I thought for that I could build at least a dozen of my own.

Well, it’s been three years and I’ve built several dozen. I’ve spent more than I planned on, but I’ve learned so much. Up all night listening to Alan Watts, Richard Feynman and The Cramps, researching shock protection systems from Breguet, Depolier, incaflex, CYMAflex, Incastar and Incabloc. Measuring everything, memorizing Ranfft, diving into Perezscope’s manuscripts, hand polishing bevels, learning how to repair bent hairsprings, etc.. I took Mark Lovick’s watch repair courses (still need to do the chronograph course) and of course have been watching all the repair channels on YouTube.

I’ve been inspired, enlightened and educated by lots of you over the years, thank you! I’m still working with pretty basic tools (haven’t bought a lathe(s) or milling, still need to get a proper cleaning machine, etc., but I’m having a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to being here with you guys, learning more and sharing some pictures of my somewhat unorthodox builds.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Re: I’ve been smoking too much incabloc

Post by Yoda »

For what it is worth, welcome to H-F!

Panerai had two types of SF240 movements, one with 15 jewels and one with 17 jewels. Both appear to perform well as they are.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by Hypnogagia »

Thanks Yoda! I recently picked up a 1/56 Gubelin SF240 Incastar, 15 jewels, alarm stem wind for a bit of a steal. Nothing looks like it was mistreated or is worn out, and it functions when a little wind is applied, but I’m just staring at it for the moment. I’ve rebuilt 6497/8, Helvetia, Zenith, Omega, Wyler incaflex, Nomolas, etc., but this one is a different beast. Gives me an Indiana Jones level of fear and excitement. I’ve never messed around with Incastar before, and the only documentation I’ve found is badly translated Portuguese(?). And then there’s the radium on the front side that has all crumbled to dust- would a bronze diving suit and a basement I can seal in concrete after be in order when I open it up? I think it’s going to sit for a bit longer while I read every ounce of information here on the forum.
I keep adding airplane parts to my motorbike but it still doesn’t fly
mountaineer
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by mountaineer »

Welcome! Look forward seeing a couple of your builds.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

It is a bit fiddly to remove the balance assembly from the incastar regulator and I recommend that you look carefully how it is fitted in the regulator.

It's almost like a free sprung system, you turn the arm to set the beat and turn the star to regulate the speed.

You can easily let the balance assembly be and lift the spring and remove the jewels one side at the time. Clean the jewels, oil the cap jewel (a drop should not cover more than a third of the cap jewel surface) and put it back in the movement and take the other side.

Oh, one more thing, incabloc is the shock protection system and incastar is the regulator system.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by Hypnogagia »

AHA! That makes sense! I suppose when I’m doing the regulating I’ll find out why Incastar didn’t stick around long, but what a cool design. The balance cock was not attached fully when I got the movement- had a sinking feeling that meant the staff was broken- but it’s all there and in good order. The balance spring seems to even be in good shape. I think the cannon pinion is gummed up, when I set the time forward the entire gear train engages. No more messing with the worry bits until I deal with the dial side. Thankfully it’s still in the clock case and sealed with glass, but the radium has fallen out of the hands and I’m not keen on getting that stuff anywhere.

@Mountaineer- thanks! Hope to add some build pictures up soon
I keep adding airplane parts to my motorbike but it still doesn’t fly