It’s the little details

Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

It’s the little details

Post by Hypnogagia »

One of the things I really dig about watches is how much attention to detail is put into everything. If you look at Lincoln’s eye on the penny, you’ll see a tiny screw used to hold the plate retaining the motion works on an ETA 2451.

It can’t be seen when the movement is assembled. On top it’s under the dial, and on the bottom it’s under the barrel, barrel bridge, automatic works and rotor.

The bottom of the screw is perfectly rounded and mirror polished. Maybe they did it so it would be less likely to seize up if there was any humidity entering the case, maybe to prevent it from cross-threading, I have no idea. It’s beautiful though. One of the first lessons I learned in Industrial Design was to find the parts that the end user is least likely to see, and make those parts beautiful. Design is not assembly purely for functionality, it is a sauce. The ingredients matter.

Most of the time when I break something open to fix (electric razor, computer, motorcycle), the insides look like a poverty stricken shanty town for ants. Full of tape, glue, messy welds, scratches, engineer graffiti and bits thrown about like a musty storage warehouse. Watches and clocks though, it’s a different world.
I keep adding airplane parts to my motorbike but it still doesn’t fly
cosmic2000
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

I'm hot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

HF veteran

Re: It’s the little details

Post by cosmic2000 »

So right you are, mate. I am an architect and on the building sites you have tolerance ranges about several cm/inches. If you work with concrete it is ever so messy. It is loud, often wet and so many craftsmen walk through what your building will be in future.
I love to work with watch movements on the weekends because it is the straight opposite. Everything has to be clean and every detail counts. I work with no music and I wear ear plugs. Complete silence!
I love the two perspectives onto our world we live in. For me it is kind of philosophical ... :-)
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

I agree, a long time ago they had beautiful details the owner most likely never saw, only a watchmaker once or twice in ten years.
I am still amazed by the beauty of a hundred years old Hamilton. Screws are either blue, polished or golden and plates have great finishes with gold inlays.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
cosmic2000
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

I'm hot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

HF veteran

Post by cosmic2000 »

Yoda wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 4:10 am I agree, a long time ago they had beautiful details the owner most likely never saw, only a watchmaker once or twice in ten years.
I am still amazed by the beauty of a hundred years old Hamilton. Screws are either blue, polished or golden and plates have great finishes with gold inlays.
:thumbup:
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by Hypnogagia »

@cosmic2000 going from buildings to watches, now that’s a difference in magnitude! The volume and intensity of noise on construction sites is crazy.

@Yoda I agree completely on the old Hamiltons, simply gorgeous! How well do those hold up as wrist conversions? I’ve really wanted to do one but I’m worried I’ll break the balance bumping into a doorway.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

Hypnogagia wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 12:07 pm @cosmic2000 going from buildings to watches, now that’s a difference in magnitude! The volume and intensity of noise on construction sites is crazy.

@Yoda I agree completely on the old Hamiltons, simply gorgeous! How well do those hold up as wrist conversions? I’ve really wanted to do one but I’m worried I’ll break the balance bumping into a doorway.
The 10 sizes are good, 917, 921, 923 and 945, no shock protection though. I have not yet damaged any movement, but I have repaired a few with broken staffs.
Lately I have experienced that staffs are getting more scarce....
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by Hypnogagia »

I have an ETA 953 on my bench that needs the staff replaced. It’s an incabloc, so it didn’t break, but it was run dirty for so long by the previous owner that it wore down the bottom pivot. I’ve got a new staff ready, but it’ll be my first time replacing one. I’ve been reading up on the procedure and watching videos. Still don’t quite have my nerve built up to do it :shock:
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

Hypnogagia wrote: July 24th, 2023, 1:28 pm I have an ETA 953 on my bench that needs the staff replaced. It’s an incabloc, so it didn’t break, but it was run dirty for so long by the previous owner that it wore down the bottom pivot. I’ve got a new staff ready, but it’ll be my first time replacing one. I’ve been reading up on the procedure and watching videos. Still don’t quite have my nerve built up to do it :shock:
It's done in steps, remove the roller and the hairspring, turn down the collar of the staff if it is riveted or push it out if it is friction fit. Lathe and staking set is what you need.
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

Yoda wrote: July 24th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Hypnogagia wrote: July 24th, 2023, 1:28 pm I have an ETA 953 on my bench that needs the staff replaced. It’s an incabloc, so it didn’t break, but it was run dirty for so long by the previous owner that it wore down the bottom pivot. I’ve got a new staff ready, but it’ll be my first time replacing one. I’ve been reading up on the procedure and watching videos. Still don’t quite have my nerve built up to do it :shock:
It's done in steps, remove the roller and the hairspring, turn down the collar of the staff if it is riveted or push it out if it is friction fit. Lathe and staking set is what you need.
And it takes practice as I have found out the hard way ;)
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by Hypnogagia »

I’ve got all the tools but the roller table remover. I got a lucky buy with a mostly complete Levin staking set for cheap, was a bit rusty but cleaned up perfectly. @straps68 I have read that it’s best to buy balance staffs in pairs :lol: