Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Opinion on a 1675

Post by jrlmsla »

Ok my vintage Rollie experts.
I was offered a 1964 1675 today for a seemingly good deal. I’m not an expert on Rolex and the 1675 was the one I would get given a chance. Well here it is.
Anyone have any opinions about this watch they would like to share, or any red flags suggesting fake or re-dial etc.
offered at $9800 usd.
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Re: Opinion on a 1675

Post by straps68 »

Damn, that is a good offer for one of those? Well, I guess I am much less of an expert on these than you are. Hope it checks out with the experts.
Philip1944
Centurion
Centurion

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Post by Philip1944 »

PAC20240624.JPG
I love it, and if it's good the price is well below norm.
Some concerns about the dial: the text doesn't look quite right.
I may be the photo distorting, but look at the dash between GMT and MASTER: it's not central.
Compare the lettering with a 1961 1675 on Chrono24. I placed your image alongside and enlarged.
Also the lumed hour bar at 9 does not look precisely edged.
Needs input from other Rlx fans more expert than me. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SDREW1976
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by SDREW1976 »

Philip1944 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 2:14 pm PAC20240624.JPG
I love it, and if it's good the price is well below norm.
Some concerns about the dial: the text doesn't look quite right.
I may be the photo distorting, but look at the dash between GMT and MASTER: it's not central.
Compare the lettering with a 1961 1675 on Chrono24. I placed your image alongside and enlarged.
Also the lumed hour bar at 9 does not look precisely edged.
Needs input from other Rlx fans more expert than me. Good luck!
Apples and oranges mate, these are two different dials from different periods. Rolex has so many transitional dials. So they literally have to be exact for comparison.
Lume doesn't play nice over time when it comes to tritium.

Here are my thoughts. My experience has said if it's too good to be true and is from a seller you don't know or doesn't have a reference it's good to question everything. Check the movement to make sure it is correct for the production date period. Do a light test on the lume to see how it reacts to light and how quickly it goes dark....tritium acts differently to modern lume. Find pictures of GMT's from the same year and cross check, compare engravings on the interior case back and in between the lugs. Check the back of the dial.

Sadly the Homage Hobby has really opened the door to bad actors and we need to check, recheck, check again and get other eyes on everything.

I own a 1978 Rolex 1655 explorer II " Steve McQueen" a 2008 MK1 Deep Sea and a 2017 James Cameron Deep Sea. I've owned multiple subs and have owned a 1675 GMT. You gotta check everything these days, not just the normal routine stuff.

I would say the price without the original bracelet and a private "Cash" sale are not too far off from what a dealer would pay. GMT are also taking a nose dive right now.
Last edited by SDREW1976 on March 6th, 2024, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Shit. If this is gonna be that kind of party, I’m gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.”
-Mantan Moreland
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by jrlmsla »

Thanks for the responses so far!
From what I’ve seen online it’s a mark 1 dial.
Gmtmaster1675.com image of dial:
That appears to have the longer dash between gmt master as you suggested
Philip1944
Centurion
Centurion

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Post by Philip1944 »

PAC20240625.JPG
Then, after looking at over 20 vintage 1675 dials I find a gen with the dash just like yours!
So you may be onto a winner.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between aftermarket and original.
I recently submitted a 1016 dial to a respected authentication company only to be advised that it was impossible for them to verify its originality as technology has now reached such an advanced stage where non Rolex products can be so precise that it is sometimes impossible to give an opinion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SDREW1976
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by SDREW1976 »

Philip1944 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 2:58 pm PAC20240625.JPGThen, after looking at over 20 vintage 1675 dials I find a gen with the dash just like yours!
So you may be onto a winner.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between aftermarket and original.
I recently submitted a 1016 dial to a respected authentication company only to be advised that it was impossible for them to verify its originality as technology has now reached such an advanced stage where non Rolex products can be so precise that it is sometimes impossible to give an opinion.
Transitional dials....keeps Rolex guys on their toes😂
“Shit. If this is gonna be that kind of party, I’m gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.”
-Mantan Moreland
Mir36
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by Mir36 »

Easiest way to get a definitive answer is to post a good high def scan of the dial at VRF. The resident expert (Xeramic) will sort you out :)
My PreVs, PreAs and more: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6554
PreV and PreA cases: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6652
PreV dials: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6651
SDREW1976
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by SDREW1976 »

Just be sure and check everything mate....Many of us have rare gen dials here! You need everything to check out.
-Mantan Moreland
wwwEvgeny
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Italiano addict

Oyster eater

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by wwwEvgeny »

the resolution of your picture is not high. for me all looks too fresh. engravings a little thick. do you have nearby Rolex service center? in Hong kong, for example they check for free... could be franken... could you please make macro also of the case back? the teeth shape