Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Mad scientist

How real are these RLX waiting lists

Post by bmsm »

We all know that RLX developed a waiting lists process with the justification that they are short in production to cover the high demand. But is this really truth? They produce around 1M/year, I believe that brands like Patek didn’t even reach the 1M production number since they start making watches.

I read somewhere that some ADs are selling directly to the gray market and put people at the waiting list, taking advantage from the production shortness due to COVID to create a new operational model and send the message to people that this is the new normal, and by doing that their sales numbers will go up to a point where they can sell their inventories. For someone to be a RLX AD, they need to constantly buy new watches from RLX and if they don’t sell them, their inventories will get bigger and bigger getting thousands of dollars pilled in shelves. If they don’t sell, they are loosing money and if they don’t buy more from RLX
they will loose the AD classification. As result there’s a need to increase sales and demand.

Even this RLX program to buy used watches sounds like that they want to control the demand in a way that will allow the company to keep the lists while selling both new and used products. Don’t know if you are aware, but RLX is building a massive Data Analysis department (it’s my business area might give a try there ) that for sure will give them more control over the full supply chain and demand.

Apart from this marketing message, I do believe that watches in precious metals and those highly collectable models have shorter production units per year but the steel basic ones I don’t believe that and here’s why. 2022 last week of the year I went to my local AD just to strap an Explorer I (my grail watch along with Speedy). They told me that they haven’t any in stock, not even one of those dummy units to try a 36mm case and see how it straps on the wrist. So I strap a date just to check the size and a sub. Was then told the waiting list was long, kind of between 2 to 4 years depending on the model but that was OK for me, so I got listed. 6 days later they called in and I was told that they have a Sub and an Explorer in the store waiting for me to check them.

So from years this shifts to days not even a week. I got the feeling they pull the watches from their stock and this was the process time for a normal order (this caught holiday season so maybe could be in less days ).

All this sounds like pure marketing, creating the scarce feeling between customers and by that they are increasing the demand. This, along with some ADs pairing with the gray market, will increase the demand for new watches (7k or more for a normal OP???) and by doing so, the waiting lists are increasing but at the same time allows the company to understand the demand for new models. With the entry in the used market RLX can respond to the high demand from their watches and also increasing their customer base size keeping everyone happy.

Did I bought the watch? No. Was on my way to the AD really happy and thinking I was a lucky guy. Everyone complains about waiting lists but I didn’t had to wait. Suddenly I thought, “wait a second how the f%$&# did this drop from years to days? Not even weeks!!”. Got to the AD and strap both watches (sorry sub fans but the explorer is a cracker of a watch) and decided by the Explorer I, but was going to pull the trigger if the AD explain to me like a 3yrs old children how the hell do you go from years to days. Answer, he could not explain that. So a told that I felt scammed, totally out of confidence to buy the watch and wasn’t going to give my money. Even the comment that we can not control the supply chain is like a full of bs excuses. Asked for the complain book and wrote this down. If I’m blacklisted now, fine no problem. Am I buying the watch? Yes but at another dealer and a used one when prices drop below retail. If that doesn’t happen then no problem, I just don’t want the felling like I was scammed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Obscuranocte
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Re: How real are these RLX waiting lists

Post by Obscuranocte »

Old old news
No real list
They only sell to their Friends Who , a few hours later, resell the piece at double price.
With Rolex passione Is dead unfortunately
Non nisi ab obscura nocte sidera micant
bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Mad scientist

Post by bmsm »

Obscuranocte wrote: January 6th, 2023, 5:15 am Old old news
No real list
They only sell to their Friends Who , a few hours later, resell the piece at double price.
With Rolex passione Is dead unfortunately
True. For me was the confirmation of all what is written and shared.
I basically had the opportunity to do the same, buying a piece and sell it hours later, but that would myself becoming part of all this shit. I could had bought the Sub and the Explorer and cash in a couple of thousands.

It’s really bad, we watch enthusiast’s that appreciate and value a good horological piece, are completely left behind. Not saying I won’t ever buy a Rolex, it’s just not true, won’t say no for a used model below retail price. But not seeing myself buying from an AD until they don’t change their modus operandi.
Obscuranocte
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by Obscuranocte »

Plus you cannot even try on a model (except for DJs...) Even if they have It on display
Non nisi ab obscura nocte sidera micant
atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Good neighbour

Post by atkin68 »

Ask yourself - how can there be enough available used inventory to supply this new certified pre-owned program if the supply of new watches really is that constrained? It makes no sense whatsoever. To me it could only mean:

1. The constraint on new inventory is a fiction to support the branding story, or...
2. The watches themselves are more desirable as commodities than as actual time pieces. Not a good message for Rolex, IMO.

I'm guessing it is #1. Keeps the demand, and the prices, high. The problem is that if it's not actually true, it also floods the market with inventory that then has to be carefully managed so it doesn't drive demand and price down. Enter the certified pre-owned program, with language like this: "Because they are built to last, Rolex watches often live several lives." Right, the inventory in the certified pre-owned program is made up of vintage watches that outlived their original owners? Please.

I don't think it is any coincidence that this program was introduced as recession looms, interest rates climb, and there are significant layoffs impacting new-money employees in places like Silicone Valley. Lots of highly paid younger employees who probably felt invincible a year ago - but aren't old enough yet to have a war chest - are suddenly out of a job at the worst possible moment. That status symbol watch becomes actual currency instead of just social currency.
tafari
VIP
VIP

MM perv

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Post by tafari »

Rlx became an uninterested brand to me. not I don’t like them, but to buy a watch to retail price is nearly impossible and the grey market prices are just stupid as the retail prices already not worth the watches.
Hidden Impact
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Oyster eater

Post by Hidden Impact »

If this is not more testament to go out and build your own, I don’t know what is!

This should only encourage more builds, you guys.

Get building!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buddhabar
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Post by buddhabar »

Your analysis is interesting, which I believe is due to a widespread trend also here in Italy and in the world
We probably know that there is an interest in raising demand which obviously drives up the price... but it is a game that throws out many potential customers, but which knows no crisis where users who love luxury are not hesitant to spend more for an emblazoned watch.
My Builds and Mod > https://imgur.com/a/kLTgFrm

My Pam collection > https://imgur.com/XNqRYYv

First build - 6152/1 LP 1950 > http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1355
EBWing
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by EBWing »

I have been on a couple of lists for couple of years now and haven’t heard a damn thing!
SDREW1976
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by SDREW1976 »

Christ if I could flag this as conspiracy theory I would😂.

Rolex is a non profit run by a trust and they come down on dealers who do anything remotely out of line. My father has been collecting Rolex for 40 yrs. Over that time he has been friends with two AD owners, one did a little shady business and Rolex shut him down. The current dealer he has a good relationship with has put him at the front of lists if an order is cancelled with the understanding if he flips they won't do business with him. In reality they want his vintage stuff and that's their real motivation. Yes you will have some shady stuff go down with some countries worse than others, some dealers have salespeople who will enable the bad guys to win! But Rolex will eventually catch them and shut them down. Lists are simply put in place because of allocation and that is real, I sold BMW, Porsche , Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley for years and we simply worked our way down the list ...and yes we were allowed to spec a car out for the dealership too and offer those to clients.

Rolex are doing the pre owned deal because fakes have gotten completely out of control and many people see value in a used piece with warranty from the factory, just like at car dealerships. Doesn't mean everyone will buy used from Rolex. I could of bought my Aston Martin V12 Vantage S from a non dealer for less, but it wouldn't have been as nice and I wouldn't of been able to purchase the manufacturer warranty I got for 3 yrs(I did get that at cost😂, I have connections in the exotic car industry). Build relationships and you get a head, same in the watch industry.

If you want watches quicker, buy what they have and you will see them contact you sooner on list opportunities. Money talks, bullshit walks.
Last edited by SDREW1976 on January 9th, 2023, 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Shit. If this is gonna be that kind of party, I’m gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.”
-Mantan Moreland